Friday, December 3, 2010

Locative Steps (Week 6)

I enjoyed 21 Steps. It is not a locative narrative though. It does not make space into place. As the reader we are definitely in a particular space, high in the sky, a surveillance module for whoever is putting the main character through a test. But is not place. We are not immersed into the lived experience of a particular place, with its stories and kinks and dwellers. The deeper meaning of experiencing a locative narrative like Murmur, where the "reader" is told stories about a place by people who know it, while the "reader" is in it, is not achieved by following the movement of a line across a map. And, although 21 Steps is interactive, the interactivity does not bring you directly to the place as it does in Murmur.

I walked by a Murmur location the other it was at Church and Alexander. I would have called the number posted by my phone was dead, it was. I wonder how that place's meaning would have elaborated on what it already meant to me. I'll have to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment