Friday, December 3, 2010

Taylock (Week 9)

Archiving a childhood, good idea. What a way to learn about one's self and development also. I can remember playing a imagined game with my friend and his sister when I was probably about six or seven. I was some brave warrior going by my own name, my friend called himself Taylock, his name was really Taylor, and was the leader of a clan. His sister whose make believe name I can't recall, her name was Meredith, was his daughter and very passive. He was pleading with me, asking me not to kill his daughter, for what reason I wanted to kill her I don't know, because if I did, it would send her mother, who was already dead, into the seventh afterlife, and therefore spiritually irretrievable. Looking back, like the Jackson, we were exploring gender roles, or at least acting out what we learned at home: dominant men, passive women. Definitely more to glean from this example: issues of identity and perception of death, but I won't play that overly insightful intellectual authority the Jackson's love so much. Do archives garner a sense of authority, plainly because it is organized knowledge? Or do they have to be compiled by an authority? Or is the mere presence of an authoritative voice offering and introduction and synopsis do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment